“Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart.” – William Wordsworth

"Dr. Google"

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

History

No, I didn't vote. I am, nonetheless, moved beyond measure by our country right now. Rach can attest that if I had voted it would have been for Obama, in '04 it would have been for Bush, I'm not positive but I think that makes me Independent. In other words my views change based on performance. I was raised against all forms of racism. It was ingrained in me very early. My grandfather (maternal) does not share those values. I remember all too well the snide remarks he would make and the confusion it caused my tender young heart. My mom would always explain to me the error in his beliefs and assure me that they are not okay but that some people are that way. It amazes me even more because he himself immigrated as a child , from Denmark I believe. I am so very proud that my children get to see this moment. As children! They will not fully understand how profound it is to go from Segregation to the White House in 60 years. 61% of the people that voted for Obama where white. He won the electoral college and the popular vote. He won Virginia, a state that has not voted Democrat since 1964. He made this happen. I hope he is the change we seek. I hope that he stands by his promise. I hope that the economy, the war, the country change for the better. I hope he is the man to do it. I hope that the importance of this moment in history is not lost on any one of us. No matter who you supported, or what your political views, the magnitude that a black man is our president is enormous. I have not been this proud of our country since 9/11. It makes my heart swell. I know this election is so much more then Barack Obama being a black man, he is more then that, but to see our country cry out for him and elect him is a beautiful thing for so many reasons.

1 comment:

April said...

You said it all beautifully!