“Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart.” – William Wordsworth

"Dr. Google"

Sunday, October 4, 2009

h1n1 asthma bear

She came down with a very sudden 102 fever yesterday. I rushed her to urgent care with a runny nose, wheezing, cough, headache, and motrin on board. The waiting room was packed. I have never seen any thing like it. Screaming kids EVERYWHERE. Runny noses, coughs-germ city, USA. I masked her up and settled in. We spent 2 hours in the waiting room listening to IPOD goodness. Her pulse ox was around 95. The doc (not at all my fav but oh well) listened to her, examined her, took down symptoms and gave us the h1n1 news. I'll admit it, I was stunned. Not at all prepared. He had her swabbed (should get results by tmrw) but he said he is positive that she has a flu. If not h1n1 (which he said he doesn't expect) she has seasonal flu. Her flu shot clinic is the 17th, there is nothing we could have done to prevent this. He gave her 'scrips for Tamiflu and Prednisolone. I got us to the van and fought the tears. We came home and I left her with Levi while I went to hunt for Tamiflu at 9pm. None of the 24 hr walgreens had the compound/syrup to make it, or the tamiflu suspension. I started to panic, you need to get this on board as fast as you can. Fortunately I had the nicest pharmasist. EVER. She called the CVS across the street and talked to them for a half hour to see if they had it. She had just enough syrup to make one bottle for Alorah. I cried I was so relieved. I headed to Wal-mart to stock up on food (fruit, crackers, milk, water bottles, ice cream, bananas, pasta, etc) and paper towels, soap, lysol, clorox wipes, and a few new movies and art projects. I got home at 10 and we waited for the pharmacy to call. They did around 1030 and Levi went to get her meds. Unfortunately she threw up her first mega dose of steroids, motrin, and tamiflu :( Her doc has called in another day of steroids but the tamiflu is a loss. Today I spaced her meds out by 2 hours and she has kept it all down. Thank goodness. She is very tired, kind of moody, and thankfully cooperative. Levi brought over a dvd and tv so she is in seclusion in her room. She also has my ipod set up and she is doing word searches right now. I am staying home with her until she is better. I can't imagine leaving her in anyone elses care. I am hoping Levi and Vance steer clear, they would also need Tamiflu. I am exhausted. My head is pounding. I have seriously contiplated a Xanax and hitting the sack.

3 comments:

Veronica said...

Poor Alorah, praying she gets better asap.

Amy said...

ANG, hi! So glad you posted the other day b/c I didn't realize you were still blogging. Looks like--except for the H1N1--things are going well for you. I'm so happy for you.

AG went back to school after a week w/the swine flu, and today she's 10 days out from when she first came down with symptoms and has spent 2 nights cough-free (finally!) and her peak flows are back consistently in the green.

So, take heart. :) Hopefully your little AG doesn't take terribly long to heal & hopefully she comes through w/no complications. The Tamiflu really did cut down my daughter's flu symptoms, even if her asthma was just as present as it always is.

April said...

wow. super scary. I hope everyone gets back to being happy and healthy very soon!