My Dad and Diane are coming to dinner tonight. One of my children is having an excruciatingly hard time right now. My mommy-heart is torn to bits to see this child so sad and full of worry. I am doing everything I can do to help but there is only so much I can do. It is one thing to help fix a scraped knee, it is another to try to help them mend a broken heart. So, I called in reinforcements. Family dinners can help. Family games can help. Family can help. Plus feeding people seriously brings me joy. Feeding people healthy fun meals? Ohhhh, delight! (esp. people who can see past the pile for goodwill, the unfolded laundry, the stacks of papers on the counter, and the un-mopped kitchen floor).
The menu is:
Roasted fingerling potatoes, red onions, garlic, and yellow squash
Artichokes w/ lemon butter dipping "sauce"
sliced up carrots, celery, red/yellow/orange/green peppers to dip in homemade hummus (so easy to whip up)
sliced up pink lady apples w/ raw milk farmers gouda cheese
Strawberries/mountain berries/blue berries/raspberries (I have some serious berry addicts in my house...coughalorahcough.
roasted brussle sprouts (I cut the tops off and remove 'weird' leaves and then I coat them in in EVOO and salt them with a coarse salt, some garlic powder and broil them until they are blackened to my liking).
Yup, that's a vegetarian smorgasbord and one of my favorite things to do for a meal. Tons of variety, lots of colorful foods, yum. If I had more time I would have made quinoa salad but oh well, next time for sure. The kids love to go around and nitpick what they want and don't want, I don't have to stress about making 3 meals (yes, I am one of those mom's...Faith has sensory integration disorder and the one thing she has not worked allllllll the way through is food, yes this requires a LOT of patience).
I am so excited to cook. All my kids love my cooking but it isn't the same. I mean, it isn't rocket science to make Alorah's favorite dish-pasta primavera...or Vance's-organic (no hfcs) grape jelly w/ organic crunchy peanut butter on whole wheat bread cut into whatever shape he fancies that day. Or Faith's-pasta and a side of fruit.
What are you eating for dinner?
No comments:
Post a Comment