“Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart.” – William Wordsworth

"Dr. Google"

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Asthma. UGH!!!!!!!

>


This winter has SUCKED. The flu, pneumonia, and right now we are in the midst of the worst asthma attack of our 6 years dealing with asthma. It started Friday with a sore throat and runny nose. By Saturday night she was coughing. A lot. Sunday she did okay and then crashed and coughed (dry harsh hacking) for hours. I only got 3 hours of sleep because I was thisclose to taking her to the ER but hoped to hold off to see her doctor. Everything went to crap yesterday. Alorah is home on oxygen right now and she should be in the hospital but there are not enough beds. She went to her ped on Monday and her O2 was around 90 but she was moving air and not wheezing. She had some places where she had decreased breath sounds so we started our normal course: steroids, albuterol, steam, honey, etc. She seemed to be doing okay when we got up yesterday morning but she did a nose dive mid-morning. She started to wheeze and retract. We did two nebs back-to-back that did nothing. So we headed to the pediatric urgent care at our hospital. When we got there here pulse-ox was 85% and they rushed her back. They put her on a double dose of albuterold, atrovent, and steroids. It didn't do much of anything. They put her on oxygen and she got up to 92%, they did a room-air trial and she dropped to 87%. They decided to send her home on oxygen and after a very long 7 hour day at the hospital we got a tank and left. We saw her doc this morning and on 1 liter of 02 she was still only at 92%. We see him again tomorrow and she won't be able to get off until she is in the high 90's with 02. Could be tomorrow could be next week. She is on major doses of steroids. She has no energy and is the sickest I've ever seen her. This sucks. Her doctor called it "big bad asthma". Yeah..grrrreat. Needless to say we are all freaking exhausted.
**The first pic is when we first got there. She's on the neb getting atrovent, double albuterol, and she had just had 30mg of steroids.
The second pic is today. Nice and pink on .5 liters of 02.
HUGE difference.




2 comments:

Amy said...

Oh, I'm sorry. It's really, really tough, I know, but hang in there.

I can't believe they don't have enough beds! Any idea why? Since we're in the same general part of the country and everyone's been sick over in my area, I'm guessing this region is just getting hit HARD before winter ends for good.

Anyway, I know it's hard to see your kid on oxygen AND to keep her still--I hope her airways calm down and open up soon.

April said...

no fun. hope she feels better soon.