“Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart.” – William Wordsworth

"Dr. Google"

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Father's Day-the gift

I was going to update my facebook status today about Father's Day.  My Dad doesn't have a facebook, he'd never see it but that isn't what caused me to pause.  My Dad isn't biologically mine, most people know that.  He adopted me when I was 5, my biological father (and my mom's first husband) gave up his parental rights.  He gave me the gift of an amazing dad.  Sonny, my biological father, had remarried and had two more son's he also adopted his wife's son.  I have two half and one step brother.  My Dad also has a son he father'd when he was young who found him several years ago.  Confused yet?  So, I have 4 brothers.  Through the years I have heard several versions of what happened to cause Sonny to make the choice he did.  It doesn't matter.  If you love someone sometimes you have to do what is best for them and let them go-that is what adoption is!  My Memaw and Pepaw (Sonny's parents) always remembered my birthday, they still remember my children's birthday's every year.  Sonny sent gifts every Christmas (I still have my Ashton Drake dolls and the elephants) My Dad taught me about camping and whittling an aspen tree into a walking stick and he never missed a soccer game, band performance, or any other significant event in my life.  Would it be different if there wasn't a paper saying he was legally my Dad?  I can't know but I doubt it!  I don't know my brother's well, which has made me sad through the years.  I grew up, essentially, an only child.  What I do know is that I had a very stable, loving, happy childhood.
So, Happy Father's Day Dad!!  Thank-you for raising me, for choosing me, and for always guiding me with firm expectations-and unconditional love.  (I'm still sorry I had to tell you I was pregnant with Faith on your birthday!  Look how awesome she is though!!!  Yeah, you'll probably never read this either but I love you)

Sonny,
Thank-you for the gift you gave all those years ago.  I know it could not have been easy.  I truly appreciate that you found that strength and did what was best for me.

No comments: