“Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart.” – William Wordsworth
"Dr. Google"
Thursday, July 7, 2011
5 years down; a lifetime to go. Some reflections.
First and foremost I have survived the last 5 years. That in and of itself is amazing. There were times I didn't know if I would. There were times I thought the pain would swallow me whole and I'd never crawl out. There are times the darkness still creeps in, days like today quite frankly suck. When I think back to then it is so hard for me to reconcile how I got here. It saddens me greatly. The wounds on my heart are permanent, I wish I could have them removed but they are there. Forever. There has been so much discord, pain, sorrow, joy turned to disappointment. There is not a day I don't think about Reese. She is in every single white butterfly, a few songs, and my soul. The grief spills over every now and then, like a wave. It used to be a gavel that would slam me from behind and take me to my knees, I am grateful that is no longer the case. My life is so much different now. Back then I still wanted more children. Back then I was still in denial about the depth of Levi's illness. Back then I never ever thought my marriage would fail. Back then...even though I was in constant pain...I still had hope. That hope is replaced with a few cups of anger, a whole lot of determination, and love beyond measure for my kids. Acceptance. I am okay with being alone. I am okay with being a single mom. Walking down the street with my kids and seeing a happy family doesn't break me anymore than I am already broken. It is what it is. Life has moved in its own direction and I have willed it onto a path that I am okay with. Surviving. In some cases thriving. I got 103% on my psych. essay test I took the day we left for NJH. The highest grade in the class (pre-curve it was 97%). I just got my first English paper back, that I wrote on Andrea Yates, and I got an A-. I had to drop biomedical ethics, which I am okay with. I am excited for that class and missing so much of it cheated me out of a lot of good discussion and debate, I will take it in the fall. I dropped it before it affected financial aid or my transcripts. I have to sign up for fall classes on the 16th, it will be a full load. The kids will go to daycare. Having done well thus far is incredibly empowering. I was a C-F student in High School (except in English and humanities). I didn't care. I'd get an F in English, apply myself and get an A, end up with a C for my final grade. Self-sabotage. Being an adult student is a huge difference. I actually care. I have to do well! I am replacing F's from 2000 with A's!! My GPA is steadily creeping up which I have to hope will help me bode well for when I petition the nursing program. I also plan to do volunteer work and build references. Reese made me a survivor. She taught me how to put myself back together. I am still, at my core, broken. I am working on it in therapy. I am working steadily toward my goals. Today sucks. I HATE today. I hate that my daughter is not here. I am not okay with never having my "rainbow" baby, but I have forged a path and a life for the kids and I that is healthy. I will never stop missing her. My heart will never be complete. I will go to my grave aching for her. 5 years down. 5 years.....
Labels:
Reese
No comments:
Post a Comment