“Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart.” – William Wordsworth

"Dr. Google"

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Google & I....

Through the years I have learned all I could about Delusional Disorder and I have looked into Schizophrenia.  I wanted to understand.  To know.  Now that there is a new diagnosis there is yet another dive into the pool of Google.
I have found some very interesting things.  When I told the nurses at the Psych ER that he had been diagnosed with Delusional Disorder Type Jealous neither of them knew what that was.  Okay now I know from my own "research" that DD is quite rare, but really?  It is a cousin of Schizophrenia.  I, personally, think there is far more out there than is ever diagnosed.  When a wife is constantly accused of cheating, or that the child of her husband is not his, I would imagine that a lot of people leave.  It seriously concerns me that these nurses had never heard of this diagnosis.
There are a couple of profound links I will share
This one
this one

I would have given my left foot to connect with another wife of a husband with DDJ, especially when he was first diagnosed.  Reading about actual experiences with Schizoaffective disorder is a mix of fascinating and downright terrifying.  I have always said that I cannot imagine how scary mental illness is.  To not know you are sick, it is truly baffling.  If someone is in a car accident and has a broken leg the ER repairs it, even if said patient comes in unconscious and cannot give consent they repair them.  If someone with mental illness goes to that ER the doctors, even though they are essentially unconscious (and if you have watched A Beautiful Mind it is probably easier to follow my analogy) to reality yet no one will fix them without consent.  It blows my mind.
"In my opinion, our health care system has failed when a doctor fails to treat an illness that is treatable." 
Kevin Alan Lee


That quote-YES-exactly.
This is another link I would like to share.
As I try to understand so that I can help I am even more disturbed by our mental health system.  I tried to contact NAMI on Thursday, they are closed Fri-Mon so I will call again tomorrow.  I know there is much to be learned by those that have actually transversed this path.

No comments: